Saturday, September 20, 2008

Penny pinching....do these Yoga pants make me look fat?

Judging by my last two posts, I'm sure you can see I am attempting to move up from my safe haven in life...aka...rock bottom, to a much brighter happier place. Where credit cards companies know longer have access to my phone number and the gym employees know me by name, instead of the drive through workers at my local taco bell.....

Yesterday I took my first pro-active step towards my credit cards, as predicted a couple days ago. Instead of paying minimum payment, I threw down a larger sum of my paycheck towards the evil plastic accounts. I know it didn't even make a dent, but I feel pretty darn good about myself right now.

I recently finished reading a book called Beautiful boy by David Sheff. This book was a fathers journey through his sons meth addictions. No I am most certainly NOT a meth head, but I couldn't help but compare my spending habits (my addiction) to his sons rehab and meth experiences. All the ups and downs, ins and outs of rehab. The justifications that using a little here or there is not an addiction, or in my case that purchasing a sweater simply because its on sale.....every other day, is not an addiction. I ROXY GREEN, have a problem. I may not have a rehab center to go to, but I do have a lot of financial boot camp to put myself through.

So here I sit, trying to ponder up ways to save or pinch my pennies so tight that they turn into twenty dollar bills, either one will work for me.

Another quest I am on aside from trying to learn how to budget (and sticking to my budget) is in the wonderful world of health and fitness.

I just purchased a gym membership with a place that had a lot of things that interested me.....AT THE TIME. I want to be able to pop in and out of classes (yoga, pilates, anything else that is going to make my butt look fab and cancel out the flab) as well as be able to use the machines and weights at any given time. Now this gym isn't close to my house, but it is close to my place of employment. So as long as I pack a duffel bag for after work I should be good.

I went to my very first class today, yoga fitness.....NOT yoga 101, or the basics of yoga, or here let me introduce you to the soaring eagle stance, but plain old yoga fitness.
I went completely unprepared and totally excited thinking I was about to start my new life of exercise and happiness. WRONG WRONG WRONG. I stuck around for 3o min of the 75 min class. I left with rubber shaking limbs and a whole lot of discouraging thoughts piling up in my brain waves. I would love to be a yoga person and I feel like between that and pilates my body could benefit due to the fact that I have horrible knees and the running and biking just aren't cutting it. But I felt like such a fool trying to pretend I knew exactly what I was doing and that I was totally meaning to fall every 2 minuets. I want to give it more of a shot that just one crazy class experience, but I tend to get so discouraged when I feel more like a giant piece of flab leaving than I did carrying my normal amount of fat into the class. SUGGESTIONS????

And here is where it gets tricky and all ties together-

I am a very busy gal, always on the run. My commute to and from work is a little over a half an hour Mon- Fri. And I have class on Monday nights. Due to my debt, I am still at home with my parents. So I don't have a nice little kitchen to call my own at this point. I desire with all of my heart to eat healthy, save money, exercise normally, still have a social life and be able to actually enjoy the food I am eating. How do I do this without eating out 24/7? Penny pincher's, I need your help desperately. How do you maintain a normal healthy life, while saving for a (hopefully) much brighter future?

Now off I go to conquer all that is Bible interpretation 101....blaaaahhh

No comments: